How To Inspect Fireplaces for Safety Hazards
In this video, a licensed chimney/fireplace inspector shares his findings with me while I was inspecting the master bedroom of a house. The chimney inspector discovered a live exposed wire inside the fireplace inspection cover. This live exposed wire was sitting just below the natural gas line supply. This is a safety hazard and needs immediate correction. This condition is evidence of sloppy substandard contractor work that could have resulted in the metal fireplace box being energized if the bare wire came in contact with it leading to possible electric shock to occupants. Another possible condition that could have happened is what if the gas line was leaking and the wire got moved and touched anything metal? A gas explosion may have occurred.
As a general home inspector I always strongly recommend having any and all fireplaces and chimneys thoroughly inspected by qualified licensed chimney specialists because they have the training and specialized equipment to inspect them correctly. If a general inspector says they inspect your chimney it is only a minimal visual inspection, which is not enough to know the condition of your chimney or fireplace. Always call a specialist.